Saturday, January 9, 2010

As promised on Facebook.... Chicken Soup!

There are two 'pot' meals that I associate with cold weather and winter: chicken soup and chili. I make a pretty mean bowl of both, but today I made the soup. Dave and I are dieting- as we try to regain our premarriage physiques- but I determined that I would make a good meal each Saturday and we would NOT overdue it. I started making this soup years ago by trial and error so of course I had never written it down. I don't know HOW those chefs/cooks do it!! I think I have measurements right, but feel free to change things, but this is what I put in my chicken soup and how I make it... I also served this with my beer muffins and maple butter!! YUMMY!!


Chicken Soup

6 cups homemade chicken stock plus 2- 3 cups water
2 – 6 oz. bonesless chicken breasts ( 12 oz)
1 cup chopped onion (or less if you don’t like onion)
1 cup chopped green pepper
1 cup celery
½ cup chopped carrots
½ cup green beans
1 small can lima beans
½ tsp of garlic powder
½ tsp dried thyme
½ tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp fresh or dried parsley
½ tsp celery seed
1 tsp sage
2 tbsp butter or margarine
1/2 cup pasta of choice
Salt and pepper to taste


1. In a large stock pot, sauté onion, pepper, and celery in extra virgin olive oil- about 2 tablespoons. Cook until veggies are beginning to get tender then add stock and bring to boil.
2. Cut chicken into bite size pieces and add chicken and to the pot. Add 1 cup water.
3. Add seasonings and other veggies; bring to boil and then reduce heat to simmer for 45 hour to allow carrots to cook through. Stir often and keep covered.
4. Add 2 tablespoons butter, pasta, and 1-2 cups of water- cover and let pasta cook for 30- 40 minutes. The pasta will absorb some liquid during cooking.
5. We love it with the ‘shakey’* cheese on top!!!

** Shakey cheese is what my nieces call parmesan cheese!!

This recipe is DAVE tested and Murphy approved!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment