Friday, April 22, 2011

An EASTER Dilemma...

Last year, I had a family cookout for Easter - no hassle cooking for a wonderful holiday so that we could enjoy our family time. This year, I am going even EASIER- I ordered a Boston Butt and it will be picked up on Saturday in time for a great family dinner on Easter Sunday. We will be pulling in some homemade touches, but the main cooking is DONE for me! Gotta love that, right?

However I will be making either strawberry ice cream or strawberry cake. My Daddy (yes, I am 41 years old and still call my father Daddy and my Yankee husband snickers all the time at that) loves STRAWBERRY anything. He prefers cake so I might bake a cake, but The DAVE loves ice cream- as he has displayed this Spring/Easter Break by having not one but two Cookout shakes to my '0'. So that's my Easter dessert dilemma- whom do I make happy?

So here we go with two recipes.... who knows what I will do! These are both super simple so I might end up doing both.... Yeah, that's just what the fat girl ordered!

Strawberry Ice Cream

1 cup whole milk
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups heavy cream
1-2 tsp vanilla
2 cups sliced strawberries
1 tablespoon of strawberry syrup juice.

1. Slice or process strawberries with sugar substitute. Set aside and let the strawberries make their own syrup juice. You will need a tablespoon of that juice.
2. Mix together sugar and milk on low speed for 1-2 minutes.
3. Add cream, vanilla, and strawberry juice.
4. Turn on machine and add mixture. Let machine go for 25-30 minutes.
5. Add strawberries during the last five minutes of the mixing.

Adding a little chocolate sauce on top with whipped cream is a GREAT hit.



Strawberry Pudding Cake

1 white cake mix
1 box of vanilla pudding mix
2 cups fresh strawberries

1. Prepare the cake, with red food color if you'd like, as directed in whatever cake pan you desire. Bake according to the box- yeah, a little semi homemade here! I guess you could use a strawberry cake mix, but I like the white.
2. Prepare the vanilla pudding with a drop or two of red food coloring if you'd like. Using sugar free/fat free pudding at this house!
3. Process or slice strawberries with sugar substitute and set aside while the cake bakes.
4. Sprinkle strawberries, reserving a few berries for garnish, over the top of the cake and then spread the pudding on top. Garnish with reserved berries. Put in fridge for about an hour before serving.

So what will I do? Check back for pictures after Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment