Sunday, August 28, 2011

Nothing better than a burger....

Saturdays and Sundays were 'grillin' days in my childhood. Every weekend my daddy would fire up the charcoal and grill away. Burgers were the standard fair along with grilled smoked sausage hit with a little Ole Hickory sauce (those of you from El Dorado, Arkansas KNOW the sauce I mean and mourn its loss with me). He would grill an onion, drink about a case of Miller beer, and about five hours after this whole process started- some time in the middle of the night- we would finally eat a very well done, if not, burned burger. Daddy believes in drying out your food- the idea of a little pink in his burger is quite unthinkable. As an adult, I have discovered the wonders of NOT charring the meat to death and I prefer a burger that's a tad bit more rare than my daddy's. Ok, I lie as basically I would prefer that it still moos a bit.... In short, a burger on the grill is one of the most perfect things in the world.


The Perfect Burger

1 lb 85/15 ground beef- you have to have some fat in a burger
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
1 tablespoon
1 tablespoon cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cracked black pepper
4 -5 tbsp Dale's steak sauce (found at most Wally World's and out of Birmingham Alabama... just a a wonderful thing!)

1. Mix seasonings (not the steak sauce) with 1 lb of ground beef. I use 85/15 as you need a little fat with a burger.
2. Construct 4 -5 patties depending on the size of the burger you would like. Press your thumb into the middle of the burger to make a well.
3. Pour one tablespoon of Dale's seasoning into the well of the burger and place in refrigerator for at least one hour. Remember to pull out burgers thirty minutes before grilling as they don't need to be cold going on the hot grill... room temperature is perfect!

Remember, after putting the burgers on, LEAVE them alone for at least 5 minutes. If you try to flip too soon, you will mess the burger up! Seriously, I could probably eat cheeseburgers every night for the rest of my life and be VERY content!

No comments:

Post a Comment