Saturday, March 29, 2014

Cracker!

It’s Saturday, and Dave and I decided we would just snack for dinner tonight after having an extremely late lunch.  As we did the weekly shopping, we perused the snack aisle at the local Wally World, we picked up the standard go-to of Doritos, some popcorn, and regular tortilla chips.  I had been thinking of making the special crackers my mom used to make- so good and so flavorful.  I mentioned it to Dave and he was a bit dubious.  So I grabbed the Ranch dressing and decided tonight was the night.

We call these Arkansas Firecrackers or Texas Treats, but I am sure there are many names for these wonderful things.  Most of the great recipes and treats my mother brings come from her dearest friend, Jeanne Ball. Jeanne is like my second mother- she has definitely known me from before Day 1- When Momma attended the El Dorado Homecoming parade at nine months pregnant with Jeanne.  I have never known life without her presence in my life.  Many of the Kinder traditions have roots in El Do and the Balls.  And well this one, is a classic!



Firecrackers

4 sleeves saltine crackers
1 cup canola oil
1 package of Ranch dressing powder
2 tablespoons crush red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon caraway seed
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper


 1.  Combine oil and seasonings together.
 2.  Empty crackers into an air tight container or an extra large ziploc bag.
 3.   Pour oil mixture over the crackers.  Turn bag over and over to coat the oil into the crackers. 
       Continue doing this for an hour before serving.

I just keep turning and turning the crackers- like every time you walk by the container!  However, these are VERY addictive and I could help myself !  I had never made them for Dave until today and well, let's just say, they are officially Dave tested and approved!

You can use oyster crackers, Ritz types, wheat, gluten free or even pretzels to do these.

You can make them hotter with the amount of red pepper flakes- I like them very spicy so I put more than the recipe calls for-- and I am happy with it.  Can't wait to try these in chili!

No comments:

Post a Comment