Sunday, June 29, 2014

Squashing the dislike of Squash

Dave does not like squash and I do.  To be honest, there are a LOT of vegetables that Dave does not like that I do so it's a constant battle to figure out what he'll eat and what I will have to eat alone. However, this is a recipe that Dave will 'somewhat' eat, I think, primarily because there is cornbread involved.  Now, I make NO bones about it, I love Jiffy cornbread mix- it's simply too cheap and easy not to love- so this is a variation on a Paula Deene* corn casserole recipe that I love- minus the stick of damn butter! There is simply NO reason to add the stick of butter!

Dave likes the corn casserole so I thought maybe adding the squash would help him with his issues with the lovely summer veggie- uh, not really.  But this is a GREAT way to use squash.  You can mix in zucchini and a little jalepeno if you'd like it a bit more spicy. Also, maybe use a jalepeno pepper jack cheese instead of cheddar.  Hmm.... variations on recipes is a thing of mine!



Squashed Cornbread Casserole

2 1/2  cups boiled squash, buttered and salted to taste
It's good I tell ya, GOOOD!
1/2 cup diced onion
1 box Jiffy cornbread mix
1 cup sour cream (I use fat free)
2 cups cheddar cheese (I like sharp)

1.  Cut Squash into bite size pieces and boil with the onion until tender. Drain water off and add butter and garlic salt- along any other spice/seasoning you might like.
2.  Mix cornbread mix, squash/onion, sour cream, and 1 cup of cheese together.
3.  Pour into a  13x9 buttered casserole. 
4.  Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes; remove from over and top with remaining cheese; return to over to melt cheese - 5 minutes.
5.  Let is stand at least another 5 minutes before serving!


Under full disclosure, Dave does not love this, but to me, it's great!  But then again,  I love the squash!  So not quite "Dave tested and Dave approved",  but it's a 'not bad' recipe!

(* note: I still 'like' Paula Deene, not 'love',  however, my issue with her stems from the fact, she hid her diabetes while plying us with butter while she got a major drug endorsement)

No comments:

Post a Comment