Sunday, May 29, 2011

Channeling my Inner Paula

Now I love Paula Deen and always love tuning into her show for the recipes and the reassurance that there is NO substitute for REAL BUTTER! I admit that I love her story and her determination and spirit. She is a pretty amazing woman to be sure. I have never waiting hours to eat at her place in Savannah, but have eaten at her brother's seafood place out towards Tybee Island.

I saw this recipe one day on her show and I knew I could get up and make it as I had every thing I needed. I made it her way the first time, but since then I have tweeked it a bit, but I do give total credit to the wonderful Ms. Deen! I had not made this in over a year, but pulled it out of the magic hat today to much acclaim!

Paula's Corn Casserole

1 can creamed corn
1 can whole kernel corn
1 package Jiffy cornbread mix
1 cup sour cream (fat free is fine!)
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
cracked black pepper to taste
1 teaspoon garlic powder if desired

1. Preheat oven to 350* and then combine the first 5 ingredients and mix well.
2. Pour into a 13 x 9 glass casserole dish that has been sprayed with Pam. Bake for 45 minutes.
3. After 45 minutes, take out and top with cheese and cracked black pepper and garlic powder if desired. Return to oven for 10 more minutes
4. Remove and allow to sit for at least 5 minutes.

I added the two types of cheeses just because I thought it would be a bit more unique and tasty- and I love Pepper jack! I add the garlic powder for the same reason, but you don't have to. The cracked black pepper is put on top of the the cheese. This is one of those recipes that is very easy to put your own twists and turns on - to make it yours!

This is a Dave tested and approved recipe! PS... he loves it for breakfast too!

No comments:

Post a Comment