Friday, August 12, 2011

Finger licking good....

Ok, I have noticed that I tend to cook with certain VERY specific types of sauces or seasonings. Some of it is based on tradition in my family, what I have tried/discovered, or what has been suggested to me. I thought I would do a post about the specific items I use.

1. LOUISIANA HOT SAUCE- this is the ONLY hot sauce I knew growing up! That yellow label with the red dot was a stable in my family's refrigerator since I was living on Magnolia Drive in El Dorado, Arkansas. When we moved to the Carolinas, it was something that bought and brought back when we traveled 'back home'. I found it in a seafood shop in Wilmington, NC and bought all the bottles they had. Wal Mart began to carry it here, but stopped I believe due to the utter devotion to Texas Pete here in NC -- PEOPLE please, it's HORRIBLE compared to Louisiana Hot Sauce- Branch out NC!! I did find it in a Wal Mart in Fredonia, NY, but alas I am back to picking up bottles when I am lucky enough to be 'back home'.

2. Duke's Mayo.... well, I did not care much for mayo growing up, but as I evolved and put on my big girl panties (yes, a bit bigger than some girls ) but I have to admit that Duke's is where it's at when it comes to mayo. There is as difference and you just need to experience it for yourself. Nothing like a summer tomato sandwich with Dukes oozing all over!

3. Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning: I am not quite sure when my daddy discovered cajun/creole seasoing, but oh what a blessed day! I put this stuff on everything- from eggs to mashed potatoes. Simply a wonderful seasoning that has no equal!

4. Dale's Steak Sauce: Some one suggested this sauce to me years ago, but where to get it? I found it in the Atlanta area when my sister lived there. However, it is something I believe that most southern Wally World's. I use in place of worscheshire sauce. (yeah, I only pretend to be an English teacher so I think I spelled it wrong- that goodness for spell check)

5. Beer and Brat Mustard from Silver Spring- may I just say, this is a wonderful mustard, but I can't find it locally any more. Used to be able to purchase at the local Sam's Club, and I think you can order it online. It's great on a burger or in sauces with that amazing horseradish that explodes in your mouth. I love hot and spicy and this fits the bill... I used this with a wing sauce that was pretty dang HOT!

I know I am forgetting something, but he that just leaves me another topic to share with you, now doesn't it? As I have thought about my blog, I see it's going to develop into a real 'foodie' blog, but hey, why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment