Wednesday, August 3, 2011

It's like summer in a bowl...

I love SUMMER for so many reasons! As you know, I teach school so I get to act like a "lady of leisure" during the summer, but that's not even the number one reason I love summer- but no shocker here, it's the FOOD. I love all the fresh homegrown veggies you can snag at road side stands that pop up all over the place- I mean who doesn't love fresh corn on the cob or a perfect 'mater' sandwich with Dukes mayo? From farmers markets to great produce stands on the way to the beach, summer sings of freshness. My favorite summertime dishes is Cucumber-Tomato-Onion Salad. So easy to make and yet so awesome that it makes any day feel like summer. I feel kind of ridiculous posting a 'recipe' for this, but I do add some different touches to it... however it's still one of those things you can put your own spin on!

CUCUMBER/TOMATO/ONION SALAD

3-4 medium sized cucumbers, sliced about a 1/4 inch thick
1/2 medium sweet onion, sliced anyway you desire
3 medium tomatoes, seeded and sliced
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup of Splenda sweetner
1 tsp dill seed
1 tsp celery seed

1. Combine the oil, vinegars, and Splenda in a mason jar and shake to mix up. Play with the amounts of oil and vinegar- sometimes less is more as you know!
2. Pour over vegetables and store in container in the refrigerator. Stir the mixture a couple of times which allows for the flavors to meld and come together.

So easy, but I am afraid to share that the Dave will not go any where near this one... raw tomatoes are his enemy as he hates the texture.... poor man, no mater sandwiches for him! But more for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment