Saturday, May 19, 2012

For Dan Quayle fans... I don't know how to spell Potatoe either!

For years, I tried to come up with a version of loaded baked potato soup. And I have always done a good job of it, but I finally had a realization that mine was simply NOT as good as what I could get at various restaurants. I mean that stuff is sooo rich, creamy and thick... and then it hit me.: those places were cheating!  They were using REAL CREAM... I mean, the wonderful nectar than adds inches to one's thighs by simply breathing it in... 

As you know, I am a chubby chick and  I refuse to use real cream or even half and half.... so how can I get my potato soup creamier-- it hit me like a bolt of lighting... instant mashed potatoes!

And here it is....

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

5 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1 medium onion- diced
6-8 slices bacon
1 package instant mashed potatos
1/2 cup Sour Cream- FF is fine
skim/ fat free milk
sour cream, light or fat free
green onions
grated cheddar cheese- I like sharp cheddar

1.  Put potatoes on to boil.  Boil until fork tender.
2.  Fry bacon and set aside.
3.  Drain off all but one tablespoon of bacon grease; Saute onions in bacon grease until tender.  Set aside.
4. When potatoes are done, drain off water, leaving a bit in the bottom.  Add instant potatoes, sour cream, and milk.

 * this is the tricky part as it all depends on how thick you like your potato soup.  I wish I could say add 3 cups of milk, but it's really up to you.

5.  Add onions and bring to a boil.  Season with cracked black pepper.

Serve with crackers and garnish with crushed bacon bits, green onions, and more sour cream! 

This is seriously the answer to my potato soup prayers.... and believe you me, it's Dave tested and Dave Requested...

No comments:

Post a Comment