Sunday, May 27, 2012

Summer is here ... and so is the Summer Squash

I was late coming to the love of squash... I mean to be honest, I was a very picky eater as a child so I would not eat a lot of foods that I NOW love... one of these foods is sqash.  It's pretty easy to grow and I came into five pounds that other day from a colleague. 

Little did I know, The Dave is NOT a big fan of squash, but I thought he might like a cheesy squash casserole- more on that later- so I went to my Paula Deene recipe with some twists.

Cheesier Squash Casserole

6 medium squash sliced thin
1 large Vidalia /sweet onion sliced thin
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons onion soup mix
1 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated parm.cheese
1/2 cup grated mozzarella
1/2 sour cream
1 sleeve butter cracker- Ritz is best
salt and pepper 
melted butter for top

1.  Boil squash, onion, and butter together until tender- usually about 10 minutes
2.  Crush sleeve a crackers and add half to the cheese mixtures.
3.  Remove and drain squash and onions.  Add to cheese mixtures, crackers. Add sour cream.  Test for salt and pepper.
4.   Mix well and pour into a greased casserole dish.  Place rest of crushed crackers on top and pour 2 tbsp melted butter on top.
5.    Bake at 350* for about 25 minutes.



Dave 'liked' this, but did not love it.. it's like mushrooms I suppose!   I was pretty well pleased and that just means, there are more leftovers for me! 

Next up for the squash-- added to peppers, onions, and summer sausage boil!

No comments:

Post a Comment