Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Yankees can't handle the greens

I like to serve my peas and greens in one bowl 
The name of my blog is entitled "Black eyed Peas and Collard Greens?" for a reason- the story is explained on the home page, but the short story is Yankees don't do this New Years Tradition and Dave claims I tried to kill him with it... how silly is that?  We weren't married yet so I had no claim to his money- he should, however, be leery of anything now, huh?

So I normally do black-eyed peas on the stove, but decided this year to try the slow cooker method- and come in from NYE festivities and turn on that crock.  That way, they can cook while I sleep as late as I want on my last day of Winter break (yeah, I said winter).  And that is the ONLY way to do it!  We came in from NYE and put those peas on- I had combined everything into one Tupperware container in the afternoon so all I did was dump! 

  New Years Southern Goodness-- Black-eyed Peas

   1 pound dried black-eyed peas, sorted and rinsed
   1 medium onion- diced
   2 cloves garlic, pressed or diced
   1/2 red bell pepper-diced
   1/2 green pepper- diced
   1 jalapeno- seeded and minced
   big ole hunk of hog jowl-cut up into smaller pieces.
   1/2 tbsp cajun seasoning (or more to taste)
   1/2 tsp cumin
   garlic salt, to taste
   1 tsp ground black pepper
   4 slices of turkey bacon- cooked and cut up

1.  Wash and drain peas. This is pea picking fun! NOT
2.  Place peas in crock pot with hog jowl, onions, peppers, and seasoning. 
3.  Cook on low 8 -10 hours or on high for about 4 hours. 
4.  Cook bacon and crumble- add to the final 30 minutes of cooking when removing the hog jowl.
     (NO, I do NOT eat that!) 

Serve with greens in one bowl as I do. Some people add red wine or apple cider vinegar, but I love to put a dash (or two or three) of Louisiana Hot Sauce to my bowl.  I also LOVE to serve over cornbread- now that's southern to the core!  I can't believe I only do this ONCE a year when this is perfection as a meal! 

We enjoyed our peas and greens at lunch time- Dave having a small spoonful of greens (we are waiting for disasstor to happen), but tonight, I will grill a nice ole pork chop, add  green beans ( to stand in for Dave's greens), and butter up some beer bread- Happy New Year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment