Sunday, January 6, 2013

Heaven on a biscuit.....

I mean seriously, is there anything better than gravy?  I mean it takes many different flavors colors, and styles, but gravy is so uniquely southern that, well, I will let you in on a secret as to why we FRY "everthang"-- for the gravy!  Don't get me wrong, I love to fry most things- hello chubby southern girl- but I do so love the gravy that normally comes with the frying.  I mean, brown gravy on french fries, white gravy on rice/potatoes, or my absolute favorite: sausage gravy!



 

PS :  Little known fact, it was in the Four Dice Cafe in Fordyce, Arkansas  that Keith Richards  had brown gravy on his french fries at the suggestion of a waitress.... within the hour, he was arrested for marijuana possession and use.

I don't know that you can READ a recipe and KNOW how to make gravy.  My first attempts were not great attempts and sometimes the gravy just didn't hold together- if you know what I mean.  It's a thing you simply get a feel for.  You just have to do over and over again.... but don't skimp on the grease in your pan!

What is better than waking up to fresh biscuits and gravy in the morning?  NOTHING!

Southern Sausage Gravy


    4 ounces breakfast sausage- I use a hot sausage
    1 tbsp bacon drippings
    1/3 cup flour- perhaps more
    1 cup fat free skim milk
    salt and pepper, to taste
   
1.  Cook sausage in a medium skillet over medium-low heat, stirring and breaking up with a spatula. I like to turn up the heat a bit at the end of the cooking to give the sausage a couple of good and done pieces- but DON'T burn your grease!

2.  With a slotted spoon, removed the browned crumbled sausage to a paper towel-lined plate. You have to leave the grease in the skillet!  This is NOT a low fat thing- no way around it!

3.   I add one tbsp of my bacon drippings at this point.  You don't HAVE to do this but in total opposition to my momma, the more grease/fat= the better the gravy.  You can substitute shortening, vegetable oil, or lard (dear God, NO- why would anyone in this day and age have LARD in the house?).  Add flour, stirring until blended and bubbling with a whisk making a roux.  Gradually add milk; continue stirring and cooking until thickened and bubbly. Too thick is fine at first! 

4.  Add the crumbled sausage.   Check the thickness and thin it out if need be- be very careful because if you get it too thin now, there is not going back.  Taste and add pepper and garlic salt!  I like the garlic taste!  You can add anything you'd like to make it YOURS!





Serve over hot biscuits- but as my Papa said 'you have to have enough gravy to cover the whole biscuit'- words of wisdom from J.H.Kinder  of Smackover, Arkansas that I will be happy to live my life by!


No comments:

Post a Comment