Thursday, February 6, 2014

Taking out the trash.. not so fast!

I had seen the recipe for Trash Dip on Pinterest when I first joined that little addictive-as-hell site two years ago (I recently helped my MIL sign up and she said it was a bad idea for her to do that after only 30 minutes on it).   I thought that sounds really good, but seriously when your go-to-dip is Rotel cheese dip, why do anything else? 

Yet, it does get kind of boring at times to do the same thing over and over again…. what did Emerson say, 'A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds'?   Now, no one can say that Rotel dip is 'foolish' so yes, my Superbowl Sunday will include the ole standard 'dippy dippy do' as my Daddy still refers to it as, but I will add in the Trash this year.  Change is good… or at least in response to food.

I have to admit there was a time when refried beans or bean dip did  NOT appeal to me.  Let's start with the NAME: refried.  That implied something to me that just didn't set well with me for many years.  However, as I am that person who constantly says  "But have you TRIED it?" to people, a taste of my own medicine was in order.    So I tried the beans and guess what?  Yep, a shocker here, but I liked them.  So as refried beans are the basis for this dip, it is sounding more and more appetizing!

So here it is… it's called Texas Trash Dip on some sites, but if YOU know anything about me, I don't care much for anything TEXAS ( used to have a bumper sticker that said, 'Avoid the Rush… Hate Texas Early') so I will refer to this as only Trash Dip.

Trash Dip

1 can refried beans
1 8 oz cream cheese
1 cup sour cream
1 package taco seasoning (3-4 tbsp if you make your own)
hot sauce to taste (couple of splahses!)
1 cup cheddar or jack (fiesta mix/ Mexican mix) shredded cheese


Preheat oven to 350*

1.  Mix cream cheese and sour cream together- cream them!
2.  Add in the refried beans, hot sauce, and taco seasoning.  Combine well.
3.  Spray a 8x8 casserole with non stick and spread the bean concoction evenly.
4.  Cover with cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes.

Serve WARM with chips!  And be prepared for an awesome trashy experience.
Definitely Dave tested and approved! 

No comments:

Post a Comment