Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Snow Day NON Gluttons... ooops Glutens!

mmm yummy yummy
Dave decided he wanted something a little different with his beloved pasta bake.  As we strolled the aisles at Wally World Saturday, I posed the question of what he might like IF it snowed (which it did by the way, because I know these things)- he asked if his favorite pasta bake could have a ‘Mexican’ feel to it?  This, he said, would combine two of his favorite types of food: Italian and Mexican.  Well, duh, of course… not hard at all.  So as the snow crept in today, I decided to break out the gluten free pasta and whip up some south of the border pasta bake.

Now, the kicker is that I had bought gluten-free pasta the week before.  My mother in law (who is down to escape the western NY winter and evidently brought polar vortex/snow with her) needs to limit her gluten so we thought ‘why not?’.  I thought the pasta was absolutely FINE…. I don’t know that I will purchase anything but gluten-free pasta from now on out.


SOTB Pasta Bake

1 lb of hamburger
1 small onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1/2 jalepeno, seeded and chopped fine
1 cup chili sauce
1 can Rotel
2 cups Mexican blend cheese
2 cups pasta- gluten free for us!
1 package of taco seasoning


1.   Brown hamburger and drain off excess grease.  Prepare pasta. 
2.   Add onion, peppers, chili sauce, rotel, and  taco seasoning.  Cook until veggies are tender.
3.   After pasta is done, drain and add pasta to the meat sauce and combine.
4.  Spray a 9x13 casserole dish and pour mixture into it.  Top with cheese and bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly and cheese melts.

What can I say?  This was GOOD… I served it with Mexican cornbread and we gobbled it up. I really think I will use gluten free pasta for this from now on… might have to come up with a mac and cheese using it soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment